Everyone wants to achieve a success in every aspect of their life. However, success is not something that can be obtained easily. To be successful, you need hard work, ambition, and determination.
Moreover, you must also understand the meaning of success. Understanding its definition will help you set your goals and better strategies to achieve those goals.
The Meaning of Success in Dictionary
The origin of the word success was a Latin word successus which means outcome or result. Meanwhile, it was originally from the Latin verb succedere which means come close after.
The word success was first used in English in the mid of 16th century.
The English dictionary defines success in two definitions.
* The achieving of the results hoped for or wanted.
* Something that achieves positive outcomes.
Moreover, business dictionary defines this word a bit differently.
* Achievements of an action within a particular parameter or particular period of time.
* Reaching a goal or completing an objective.
* A term to describe someone who has more objects, e.g. money, compared to other people.
How Famous People Defined a Success
However, people don’t always define this word as the dictionary defines it. The meaning of success for one person may be different to another. It is because this word cannot be defined in only one sentence.
These are some quotes about success from various famous persons.
1.”Success is not about accomplishments. It is about consistency. Consistent hard work will lead you to success. Then, greatness will come.” ~ Dwayne Johnson
2.”Success is not about how much money you make; it is about the difference you make in people’s lives.” ~ Michelle Obama
3.”Success does not mean that you never made mistakes. It is about never making the same mistake twice.” – George Bernard Shaw
4.”Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated continuously.” ~ Robert Collier
5.”Success is not about what you have. It is about who you are.” ~ Bo Bennet
6.”Success is not accident. It is hard work, learning, sacrifice, perseverance, and, most importantly, loves what you are doing.” ~ Pele
7.”The key to happiness is not success. But, happiness is the key of success. If you love what you do, you’ll be a success.” ~ Albert Schweitzer
Inspiring Success Stories
Many people often suffered from various failures before they gain a success. Here are some inspiring success stories from successful people.
1. Bill Gates was a college drop out. Before achieving success with Microsoft, he suffered from business failure. It happened on his Traf-O-Data business. It might be a failure, but it was the thing that helped him understand more about computer programming.
2. Before becoming a successful and rich author, J.K. Rowling was poor, divorced, jobless, and needed money to raise her child. However, because of her determination, she was able to get up from those difficulties and achieved meterial success through his fantasy tales. Note: For moeslim, I do not recommend fiction written by J.K.Rowling for your child to read, because in my opinion it contains fantasy elements like magic that are not in accordance with Islamic teachings.
3. Albert Einstein is a great scientist. However, he didn’t show signs of genius while he was a He suffered from a speech delay and had learning problems at school. However, once he overcame his difficulties, he became one of the most influential persons in the world.
Therefore, it can be concluded that failures often precedes a success. As a result, you must not give up easily when they happens. You need to stay determined and be willing to perform hard works all the time.
So the definition of success according to each person can be different. People who have a life purpose to run Islamic law consistently may have the meaning of success which is inversely proportional to those who only prioritize the success of wealth.
The best success is a balanced success between worldly success and success for the purpose of the next life.