The role of a leader is very important and determines success, such as in the family, business and the state.
There are many examples of countries that are developing rapidly in the economic field after being led by leaders with extraordinary abilities.
Singapore under the leadership of Lee Kwan Yew showed rapid economic progress.
Likewise in business, Chrysler Corporation, which was almost bankrupt, returned to power under the leadership of Lee Lacooca. General Electric was so powerful its growth under the leadership of Jack Welsch.
According to Merryl Schneider and friends, there are 3 personalities that are at least possessed by leaders with extraordinary abilities:
- 1 3 Personalities of a Good Leader
- 2 44 Quotes About the Meaning of Leadership
- 2.1 1. “If you don’t have influence, you won’t be able to lead.”
- 2.2 15. “It is not the position that creates a leader; it is the leader who creates the position.” ~ Stanley Huffty
- 2.3 29. Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.” ~ Margaret Fuller
- 2.4 39. “A leader is a dealer in hope.” ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
- 3 Conclusions and Tips
3 Personalities of a Good Leader
A leader must have a clear vision and mission that can be conveyed and carried out throughout his staff.
Values (moral values)
A leader can be an example because of his moral values.
Leaders must dare to take reasonable (change) risks for the progress of the company.
44 Quotes About the Meaning of Leadership
The following are quotes about leadership that can be an example and basic ideas on how to become a leader:
1. “If you don’t have influence, you won’t be able to lead.”
2. “People buy into the leader before they buy into the vision.” ~ John C. Maxwell
3. “Any successful business should be built on principles, but we are responsible for ourselves first. Your personal foundation transcends any place you work and allows you to use your talents in any position or company you may find yourself.”
4. “If your actions create a legacy that inspires others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, then, you are an excellent leader.” ~ Dolly Parton
5. “Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.” ~ John F. Kennedy
6. “If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you do not have integrity, nothing else matters.”
7. “The real leader has no need to lead – he is content to point the way.” ~ Henry Miller
8. “No matter what you do, from working the streets of Fallujah to working the boardroom in New York, you should approach it with a long-range attitude, a focus on the future and on grand goals.”
9. “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” ~ Lao Tzu
10. “There is nothing more valuable in this day and age than a person who accomplishes what he says he will.”
11. “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.” ~ Abraham Lincoln
12. “One measure of leadership is the caliber of people who choose to follow you.” ~ Dennis A. Peer
13. “The X Factor of great leadership is humility combined with will.” ~ Jim Collins
14. “You need your staff to have the same vision and to desire to function with the same degree of integrity as you.”
15. “It is not the position that creates a leader; it is the leader who creates the position.” ~ Stanley Huffty
16. “A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.” ~ John C. Maxwell
17. “Having solid core principles is critical to personal and professional success.”
18. “Ninety percent of leadership is the ability to communicate something people want.” ~ Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator
19. “Your future activates your present.”
20. “A leader can come from any background if she has the desire to make a difference.”
21. If you have ideas, you have the main asset you need, and there isn’t any limit to what you can do with your business and your life. Ideas are any man’s greatest asset.” ~ Harvey S. Firestone
22. “Honorable actions are contagious. Inspire others by doing the right thing.”
23. “When you do not constantly move toward your vision, you let others shape your destiny.”
24. “The task of the leader is to get his people from where they are to where they have not been.” ~ Henry Kissinger
25. “To define your vision realistically, you have to understand what drives your people, what their values are, and what they are capable of accomplishing with the right support and direction. You also need to have an intimate understanding of your corporate culture and the key characteristics of your business environment.”
26. “Creativity is natural. Discipline is not…The challenge is not to become creative. The challenge is to remove what is preventing you from doing that.” ~ Jim Collins
27. “Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.” ~ Steve Jobs
28. “You cannot lead everybody the same way and realistically expect the same results – you often have to paint with a fine stroke, not a broad brush.”
29. Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.” ~ Margaret Fuller
30. “Leaders must always move forward, face danger and uncertainty, and take risks when there is no guarantee of success. Great leaders know that often the greatest danger is to do nothing in a world that is changing rapidly.”
31. “People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and the boss drives.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt
32. “Understanding your people can only happen through close interaction with them.”
33. “The key to being a good manager is keeping the people who hate me away from those who are still undecided.” ~ Casey Stengel
34. “Being a great leader means you are willing to take a hard look at yourself and identify your strengths and weaknesses.”
35. “Developing your team is a continuous effort that requires constant attention.”
36. “It’s not right for one person to get an award while it takes a lot of people to build organizational success.” ~ Jim Sinegal
37. “Effective leadership is not about making speeches or being liked; leadership is defined by results not attributes.” ~ Peter F. Drucker
38. “Nobody will follow you if they do not feel you are willing to make the same sacrifice you are asking of them.”
39. “A leader is a dealer in hope.” ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
40. “A leader sees more than anyone else, sees farther than anyone else, and sees before others see it.” ~ Leroy Eims
41. “When you have the backing of those that work for you, it is so much easier to be successful.”
42. “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” ~ Peter F. Drucker
43. “Time is neutral and does not change things. With courage and initiative, leaders change things.” ~ Jesse Jackson
44. “Without initiative, leaders are simply workers in leadership positions.” ~ Bo Bennet
Conclusions and Tips
According to the quote above and quoted from A. Dale Timpe in his book on Leadership, leaders who can succeed in their environment tend to have at least the following personality traits:
* The ability to concentrate. Leaders who can attract the attention of everyone in the organization, have one of the most important elements of leadership.
* Emphasis on simple values. A leader always has simple values that he always conveys in speeches, written material or during meetings with employees. Example: ‘Service to customers is the highest value’.
* Always associate with people.
* Avoiding artificial professionalism. True leaders know which way the organization should move and avoid unproductive movements.
* Manage change. In addition to having a vision of the company’s future, leaders must be skilled in making changes. A smart leader must be able to “make it happen”.
* Choose people. An effective leader is skilled at choosing and retaining talented subordinates.
* Avoid “doing it all yourself”. Successful leaders tend to turn their attention to relatively limited performance indicators.
* Facing failure. A true leader will not hesitate to face the company’s ‘mistakes’ and will acknowledge his responsibilities. Such a leader will learn from the mistakes that have been made and will move forward.
Hopefully, the leadership quotes above can inspire you.