Roger Federer is one of the best tennis players in the world. Many even considered him the world’s best tennis player of all time.
This is hardly surprising considering his skills, performance, titles, and achievements. Do you want to know more about this great man? If you do, read our short biography of him below.
Early Life and The Start of His Professional Career
Roger Federer was born in Basel, Switzerland, on August 8, 1981. He started playing tennis quite early, at the age of eight. Everyone in his family likes tennis but none of them go professional. That is, until Roger Federer did.
Roger Federer participated in the junior championship in Switzerland and won the tile when he was 14 years old. At 17, he secured the Wimbledon junior singles title as well as the Orange Bowl junior tournament held in Miami as well.
The following year, he made his debut on the Swiss Davis Cup team, thus becoming the youngest tennis player to be among the top 100 tennis players in the world.
At the 2001 Wimbledon championship, Roger Federer defeated the reigning champion, Pete Sampras, causing a sensation for himself.
In 2003, after consecutive successes on the grass, he won a Grand Slam title at Wimbledon, becoming the first-ever Swiss man to do so.
The World’s Best Tennis Player
At the start of 2004, Roger Federer was ranked #2 the best player in the world. In the same year, he won various titles, including the U.S.
Open, the Australian Open and the ATP Masters. He also succeeded in retaining the Wimbledon singles title at the same time as well.
At the start of 2005, Roger Federer was ranked #1 the best player in the world. Just like 2004, he won many titles in this year as well. This time, he won the U.S. Open and third in a row Wimbledon singles title.
He kept his #1 ranking from 2004 to 2008. 2008 was a difficult year for him as he lost the Wimbledon and French Open to Rafael Nadal and the Australian Open to Novak Djokovic. Federer’s rank also slipped to #2, too.
Regaining the Title
It was not until 2009 that Roger Federer reclaimed the world’s best tennis player. He completed the career Grand Slam, won the French Open, and in the dramatic finale of Wimbledon, defeated Andy Roddick. With this win, he surpassed the record of Pete Sampras. His amazing all-around play allowed him to reclaim the title world’s best.
Roger Federer’s career rose once again in 2012 as he won his 7th Wimbledon singles title and successfully defend his #1 ranking for 302 weeks.
The period from 2013 to 2016, however, wasn’t kind to him as he suffered defeats and injuries. He made his comeback in 2017 when he won his 8th Wimbledon title and in 2018 with his 20th Grand Slam singles title.
Roger Federer is certainly among the top tennis players in the world. It is not even surprising if many considered him as the world’s greatest tennis player of all time considering he won so many titles, including 20 titles of Grand Slam, Olympic Medals and successfully defended his number one position for a total of 302 weeks (237 of them are consecutive weeks).
You may want to read: Rafael Nadal Short Biography and Quotes
26 Inspirational Roger Federer Quotes about Life
1. “I have learnt to be even more patient.” ~ Roger Federer
2. “Early in my career, I struggled with consistency, but I couldn’t get more consistent than this year.” ~ Roger Federer
3. “You always want to win. That is why you play tennis, because you love the sport and try to be the best you can at it.” ~ Roger Federer
4. “The serve, I think, is the most difficult, you know, in terms of coordination, because you got the two arms going, and you got to toss it up at the right time so.” ~ Roger Federer
5. “Being a husband is for me as big a priority as being a father.” ~ Roger Federer
6. “Sometimes you have to accept that a guy played better on the day than you.” ~ Roger Federer
7. “My heart is in South Africa, through my mum. My mum being from here, me spending a lot of time here as well, I feel most connected to this part of the world.” ~ Roger Federer
8. “I think it’s very hard for coaches to work with me. They’ll no doubt have a good CV afterwards, but at the same time they’re under a lot of pressure.” ~ Roger Federer
9. “I have to fit holidays around tournaments, particularly the grand slams, in Melbourne, Paris, London and New York.” ~ Roger Federer
10. “Clearly, when you win everything, it’s fun. That doesn’t necessarily mean you love the game more.” ~ Roger Federer
11. “I’m a very positive thinker, and I think that is what helps me the most in difficult moments.” ~ Roger Federer
12. “I don’t mind fans coming up in a friendly, respectful way. That’s all part of the fun of being a top tennis player. But if people take pictures without permission, particularly if my children are in the shot, I feel uncomfortable.” ~ Roger Federer
13. “When I think of the Olympics I only think of good things. I think of what a great event it is and what it has done for me and my career, and changed my personal life, too.” ~ Roger Federer
14. “For me, it’s important that a fan can buy something that is related to me. Like in soccer, you buy a shirt and it’s got somebody’s name on the back. That’s kind of a cool thing.” ~ Roger Federer
15. “My favorite shot is always gonna be the forehand. It used to always be my favorite shot when I was young, so it’s the one I’ve won all the points with.” ~ Roger Federer
16. “There’s no way around hard work. Embrace it.” ~ Roger Federer
17. “You have to put in the hours because there’s always something which you can improve.” ~ Roger Federer
18. “I always believe if you’re stuck in a hole and maybe things aren’t going well you will come out stronger. Everything in life is this way.” ~ Roger Federer
19. “When you’re good at something, make that everything.” ~ Roger Federer
20. “You have to believe in the long-term plan you have but you need the short-term goals to motivate and inspire you.” ~ Roger Federer
21. “Success is a nice thing because it always means you’ve taken a step forward and it gives you a sense of pride, which in turn gives you confidence and experience, a positive circle, so to speak.” ~ Roger Federer
22. “I fear no one but respect everyone.” ~ Roger Federer
23. “I definitely feel there’s room for improvement.” ~ Roger Federer
24. “I’ve practiced so much.” ~ Roger Federer
25. “Once you find that peace, that place of peace and quiet, harmony and confidence, that’s when you start playing your best.” ~ Roger Federer
26. “A man who wins is a man who thinks he can.” ~ Roger Federer
We can imitate the spirit to achieve success on Tennis from Roger Federer.
But in running life, remain guided by the guidance of Allah SWT and the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad SAW.