Pep Guardiola. You probably have heard the name before, especially if you are a football fan. It is not surprising. After all, he is among the most successful football coaches in the world.
He has proven this not just once but multiple times. And here, we will share some interesting and amazing facts about his life. Ready? Let’s start.
Career as a Football Player
Josep ‘Pep’ Guardiola loves football ever since he was a kid. He started his career in playing football when he was 13 years old when he joined the youth academy of FC Barcelona.
Pep Guardiola played as a defender. He was noticed by Johan Cruyff, who was the head coach of the first team at that time. Pep Guardiola then got introduced to the senior team when he was 20 years old.
Pep Guardiola then became a pivotal dream of the team in the 1990s. He was part of the team who claimed various championships such as 6 La Liga titles, 4 Spain Super Cups, 2 UEFA Super Cups, and 1 European Cup, among others.
In his 12 seasons of playing for the team, he appeared in no less than 479 matches and was considered as one of the best defensive midfielders at that time.
You may want to read: Ronaldo: Short biografi and quotes
Career as a Coach
Pep Guardiola was an amazing football player. His worldwide fame got even better when he became a coach not long after his retirement.
After retiring as a football player, he entered the football field once again. This time, as a coach. It was June 2007 where he was appointed as the manager of the Barcelona B team.
Just a season later, Pep Guardiola was offered the position of the coach of the senior team. He accepted this offer and started to manage the team according to his vision.
One of the most notable transformations that he did for the team was that he get rid of the team’s most important players. Indeed, he created a new squad.
His new squad of FC Barcelona proven to perform amazingly, not just in the domestic championship and Europe but also in the world as well.
He managed the team to claim treble, yes all three La Liga, Copa del Ray and Champions League.
Later on, the team also claimed Supercopa de Espana title, the UEFA Super Cup as well as Club World Cup.
What made these accomplishments so amazing was the fact that Pep Guardiola managed to win all six titles with one team in just a single season. He resigned from FC Barcelona after the 2011-2012 season is over.
After the 2011-2012 season, he took a rest in New York City. In 2013, he became the coach of Bayern Munich with whom he managed to claim various titles for the team as well.
Currently (Feb 2020), Pep Guardiola is coaching Manchester City.
Pep Guardiola was an amazing football player back in his days and an even more amazing coach.
Whenever he managed a team, the team will see improvements in their gameplay.
He has an interesting approach to a team as he tends to build it ground up rather than top-down.
He truly is among the most successful football coaches in the world.
22 Pep Guardiola Inspirational Quotes
1. “I am here just to learn, to improve, to help my team improve.” ~ Pep Guardiola
2. “We try to play football; don’t forget it, right. My teams always in my career try to play football. I cannot control the other circumstances.” ~ Pep Guardiola
3. “The result is an empty thing. The result is I’m happy for the next two days because I get less criticism and more time to improve my team. But what satisfies me the most in my job is to feel emotions, the way we play.” ~ Pep Guardiola
4. “I am so happy when I feel emotion about the way my team plays.”~ Pep Guardiola
5. “If you train badly, you play badly. If you work like a beast in training, you play the same way.” ~ Pep Guardiola
6. “Tactics are so important because everybody has to know what they have to do on the pitch. The relationships and behaviours off the pitch between team-mates have to be as good as possible.” ~ Pep Guardiola
7. “Creating something new is the difficult part. To make it and build it and get everyone to follow? Amazing.” ~ Pep Guardiola
8. “I will forgive if the players cannot get it right, but not if they do not try hard.” ~ Pep Guardiola
9. “We all feel that hunger in football. With Cruyff, it was different. He deepened and changed the hunger so you became conscious of why you are getting better.” ~ Pep Guardiola
10. “I won 21 titles in seven years: three titles per year playing in this way. I’m sorry, guys. I’m not going to change.” ~ Pep Guardiola
11. “Let us fight until the end. Let me try at least that – fight.” ~ Pep Guardiola
12. “We cannot change absolutely everything in one season.” ~ Pep Guardiola
13. “I would like to involve and love to work with young players.” ~ Pep Guardiola
14. “All the managers in the world, it doesn’t matter how good you are, if your players don’t understand what you are looking for or what you want, it makes no sense.” ~ Pep Guardiola
15. “Sometimes I was wrong about my players. Sometimes I want more and more from them; sometimes I am so demanding, but they showed me how good they are.” ~ Pep Guardiola
16. “I want to win. I want to play serious. I want to be effective.” ~ Pep Guardiola
17. “If I believed in it, and it wasn’t productive for the team, I wouldn’t do it.” ~ Pep Guardiola
18. “I know the people expect the best – good. The people expect we’ll play fantastic football and win games – good. I can’t control that. I accept that, and I just focus on my players in the games.” ~ Pep Guardiola
19. “I need time, but as soon as possible, we are going to try to create team spirit. That is the most important thing. After that, you can create tactics, but we have to create something special with ourselves.” ~ Pep Guardiola
20. “The reason we are here is thinking, ‘What can we do to make this club a better club?’ I don’t want the guys to think about what the club can do for them.” ~ Pep Guardiola
21. “I want to feel the team is playing like I want. If not, why am I here?” ~ Pep Guardiola
22. “I am here to change anything. I’m here to adapt. The critieria between a yellow and red card. What is a foul and what is not.” ~ Pep Guardiola
We can imitate the spirit of success from Pep Guardiola.
But in carrying out your activities, remain guided by the guidance of Allah SWT and the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad SAW.