Some people may not like basketball but everyone knows who Michael Jordan is. How could they not? Michael Jordan is one of the legendary players in the history of the NBA.
Nicknamed the Air Jordan, he accomplished so many things during his career as a basketball player, from helping his team win championship multiple times to earning various titles.
Early Life and Career
Michael Jeffrey Jordan, more popularly known as Michael Jordan (also Air Jordan), was born on February 17, 1963, in Brooklyn, New York, the U.S. His basketball career started in 1981 when he entered the University of North Carolina and played for the team.
Michael Jordan played for his college’s basketball team in his junior and sophomore years, becoming the College Player of the Year during those years.
The Chicago Bulls then drafted him in 1984. He played for the team until 1993, earning so many awards and recognition (MVP titles, Defensive Player of the Year, and many others) in the meantime.
There was a time where Michael Jordan announced his unexpected retirement. In 1993, after a series of unfortunate events, he announced his retirement from basketball in October.
During this period of unexpected retirement, he played baseball for the Birmingham Barons. This gave him not just the time away and experience but also a much-needed rest.
You may want to read: Quotes about never give up
After regaining his love of basketball, Michael Jordan made his return in the 1994-1995 season.
At first, people wondered whether he could do it again. In the beginning, it was evident that his skill was getting rusty.
He played well, but not as good as he once was. This, however, didn’t stop him. The Air Jordan returned with even more determination.
In the 1995-1996 season, the Chicago Bulls finished the season with 72-10, which was a record for most wins in a single season in the NBA history.
Not only that, but Michael Jordan also once again gained the title for scoring, making it his eight titles for scoring.
On top of it all, the Air Jordan also became the 10th NBA player to score a total of 25,000 career point and the second-fastest (after Wilt Chamberlain) to reach the mark.
The Chicago Bulls then went on to win its 4th NBA champion title. Coincidentally, the final was held on Father’s Day, thus making the winning sad and bittersweet for the Air Jordan.
He announced his retirement again after the 1997-1998 season.
During this period of retirement in 2000, Michael Jordan became a part-owner and manager of the Washington Wizards. He later renounced his positions and played for the team instead.
As expected, the team’s performance was improved thanks to him. This comeback was short, as after the 2002-2003 season he announced his final retirement.
There is no doubt that Michael Jordan is among the best basketball players in the world. He was also considered as the best all-around player in the NBA as well.
His determination, skill, and performance earned him these recognitions.
Despite many obstacles in his life, the Air Jordan managed to come out at the top, both in and off the field of basketball.
20 Inspirational Michael Jordan Quotes on Success
1. “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” ~ Michael Jordan
2. “I play to win, whether during practice or a real game. And I will not let anything get in the way of me and my competitive enthusiasm to win.” ~ Michael Jordan
3. “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” ~ Michael Jordan
4. “Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation.” ~ Michael Jordan
5. “I believe greatness is an evolutionary process that changes and evolves era to era.” ~ Michael Jordan
6. “I built my talents on the shoulders of someone else’s talent.” ~ Michael Jordan
7. “There’s only one Michael Jordan.” ~ Michael Jordan
8. “Sometimes, things may not go your way, but the effort should be there every single night.” ~ Michael Jordan
9. “To be successful you have to be selfish, or else you never achieve. And once you get to your highest level, then you have to be unselfish. Stay reachable. Stay in touch. Don’t isolate.” ~ Michael Jordan
10. “I never looked at the consequences of missing a big shot… when you think about the consequences you always think of a negative result.” ~ Michael Jordan
11. “I realize that I’m black, but I like to be viewed as a person, and this is everybody’s wish.” ~ Michael Jordan
12. “Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.” ~ Michael Jordan
13. “I’ve never been afraid to fail.” ~ Michael Jordan
14. “I’ve always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come.” ~ Michael Jordan
15. “If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome.” ~ Michael Jordan
16. “There is no such thing as a perfect basketball player, and I don’t believe there is only one greatest player either.” ~ Michael Jordan
17. “When I was young, I had to learn the fundamentals of basketball. You can have all the physical ability in the world, but you still have to know the fundamentals.” ~ Michael Jordan
18. “I wasn’t really a work-conscious type of person. I was a player. I loved to play sports.” ~ Michael Jordan
19. “My father used to say that it’s never too late to do anything you wanted to do. And he said, ‘You never know what you can accomplish until you try.” ~ Michael Jordan
20. “Being Michael Jordan means acting the same as I always have.” ~ Michael Jordan
We can imitate the spirit to achieve success from Michael Jordan.
But in running life, remain guided by the guidance of Allah SWT and the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad SAW.