Jeff Bezos is among today’s richest people in the world. He has a prominent role in e-commerce growth with his Amazon.com.Inc.
Under his leadership, Amazon, which started as an online bookstore, turned in to the largest retailer on the Internet.
Amazon also became the model for sales on the Internet as well. Want to know more about Jeff Bezos’ story? Read it below.
Jeffrey Preston Bezos, more popularly known as Jeff Bezos, was born in New Mexico, U.S., on January 12, 1964. He was born to Ted and Jacklyn Gise Jorgensen.
His father and mother then divorced, and Jeff’s mother remarried a Cuban immigrant named Mike Bezos, who later on officially adopted Jeff (hence the family name “Bezos” he has).
You may want to read: Bill Gates Success Stories ad Quotes
Before founding Amazon, Jeff Bezos worked in various financial firms. His last firm was the D.E. Shaw, an investment bank in New York, which he joined in 1990.
Not long after joining the firm, he was named as the senior vice president. This made him the youngest senior vice president in D.E. Shaw.
In 1994, Jeff Bezos quit the firm and moved to Seattle, working on his vision to create a virtual bookstore.
With a handful of employees, Jeff Bezos started developing the software for his online bookstore.
He named this bookstore “Amazon,” after the South American river. It was July 1995 where Amazon sold its first-ever book.
Jeff Bezos ensured that Amazon stands out from the competitions. Amazon offered various features. It was user-friendly, open 24 hours a day, offering discounts, and encourage people to write their book reviews. It enabled searches for books that were out of print as well.
Jeff Bezos didn’t stop there. He didn’t confine Amazon to only be a virtual bookstore. Seeing the opportunity in the market of the Internet, he expanded the items sold in Amazon.
In 1998, CDs and videos were sold. The following year, Amazon added auction feature and Jeff Bezos investing his money in other online stores.
In 2005, Jeff Bezos diversify Amazon. Now, Amazon was no longer an online bookstore only. It was at this time that Amazon started to offer a wide range of products, from hardware, apparel to consumer electronics.
Just a year later, Amazon was diversified even further with Amazon Web Services. And in 2007, the company released Kindle.
It is a handheld reading device that allows customers to read, store, buy, and download their digital books collections.
In the end, Jeff Bezos successfully increase the net sales of Amazon dramatically.
In 1995, the net sales were worth USD 510,000 and in just three years, it increased to around USD 600 million. This dramatic increase happened again in 2008-2018.
In just a decade, Jeff Bezos was able to increase the net sales from USD 19.1 billion to almost USD 233 billion.
That was the story of Amazon’s CEO, Jeff Bezos. He started in the field of finance, which he then left to realize his own vision.
He created Amazon, originally an online bookstore, and successfully shaped it into the Internet’s largest retailer of today.
Due to his success, Jeff Bezos becomes the richest person in the world with a net worth of USD 112 billion.
30 Inspirational Jeff Bezos Quotes on Success
1. “A company shouldn’t get addicted to being shiny, because shiny doesn’t last.” ~ Jeff Bezos
2. “I believe you have to be willing to be misunderstood if you’re going to innovate.” ~ Jeff Bezos
3. “It is very difficult to get people to focus on the most important things when you’re in boom times.” ~ Jeff Bezos
4. “There are two kinds of companies, those that work to try to charge more and those that work to charge less. We will be the second.” ~ Jeff Bezos
5. “It’s not an experiment if you know it’s going to work.” ~ Jeff Bezos
6. “If you don’t understand the details of your business you are going to fail.” ~ Jeff Bezos
7. “A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person. You earn reputation by trying to do hard things well.” ~ Jeff Bezos
8. “If you do build a great experience, customers tell each other about that. Word of mouth is very powerful.” ~ Jeff Bezos
9. “What’s dangerous is not to evolve.” ~ Jeff Bezos
10. “What consumerism really is, at its worst is getting people to buy things that don’t actually improve their lives.” ~ Jeff Bezos
11. “Life’s too short to hang out with people who aren’t resourceful.” ~ Jeff Bezos
12. “My view is there’s no bad time to innovate.” ~ Jeff Bezos
13. “One of the things it was obvious you could do with an online store is have a much more complete selection.” ~ Jeff Bezos
14. “I think frugality drives innovation, just like other constraints do. One of the only ways to get out of a tight box is to invent your way out.” ~ Jeff Bezos
15. “Infrastructure web services had to happen.” ~ Jeff Bezos
16. “People forget already how much utility they get out of the Internet – how much utility they get out of e-mail, how much utility they get out of even simple things like brochureware online.” ~ Jeff Bezos
17. “You don’t want to negotiate the price of simple things you buy every day.” ~ Jeff Bezos
18. “If you only do things where you know the answer in advance, your company goes away.” ~ Jeff Bezos
19. “There’ll always be serendipity involved in discovery.” ~ Jeff Bezos
20. “Beautiful speech doesn’t need protection, it’s ugly speech that needs protection. We have these cultural norms that allow people to say really ugly things. You don’t have to invite them to your dinner party, but you should let them say it.” ~ Jeff Bezos
21. “I grew up reading science fiction.” ~ Jeff Bezos
22. “Keep our competitors focused on us, while we stay focused on the customer.” ~ Jeff Bezos
23. “The thing that motivates me is a very common form of motivation. And that is, with other folks counting on me, it’s so easy to be motivated.” ~ Jeff Bezos
24. “If you’re competitor-focused, you have to wait until there is a competitor doing something. Being customer-focused allows you to be more pioneering.” ~ Jeff Bezos
25. “What we need to do is always look into the future.” ~ Jeff Bezos
26. “Profitability is very important to us or we wouldn’t be in this business.” ~ Jeff Bezos
27. “One of the huge mistakes people make is that they try to force an interest on themselves. You don’t choose your passions. Your passions choose you.” ~ Jeff Bezos
28. “Work hard, have fun, and make history.” ~ Jeff Bezos
29. “The most important single thing is to focus obsessively on the customer. Our goal is to be earth’s most customer-centric company.” ~ Jeff Bezos
30. “We’ve had three big ideas at Amazon that we’ve stuck with for 18 years, and they’re the reason we’re successful: Put the customer first. Invent. And be patient.” ~ Jeff Bezos