These days, everyone must have heard about Bill Gates, the co-founder of Microsoft. This successful business magnate is one of the richest men in the world.
It is predicted that his fortune is about $100 billion. Though he is a rich man, Bill loves helping others who are in need. As a result, you can find his contribution in technology and society.
Childhood and Education
William Henry Gates III was born on October 28, 1955, in Seattle, Washington. His parents, William and Mary Gates, always encourage competition at home. However, Gates was often bullied by his friends because he was considered small for a boy his age.
When he was 13, he attended Lakeside prep school. He showed his interest on computer while pursuing an education in this school.
It was in Lakeside that he programmed his first computer program using Teletype Model 33 ASR terminal and computer block.
He had several friends who shared the same interest. One of them is Paul Allen. Later on, Allen became his partner in founding Microsoft.
While in this school, he did many computer related things using different machines. Later on, Gates graduated from Lakeside in 1973 and had very satisfying SAT test score.
With this excellent SAT test score, he attended Harvard that fall. However, he didn’t finish his education in this university.
His parents were amazing. They were not furious when Gates dropped out of Harvard. They even supported him when he told them that he wanted to start his own computer software company with Allen. Here is Gates’ career development.
Starting Microsoft as a small company
Gates and Allen established a company named Microsoft in 1976. The office of this company was located in Albuquerque, New Mexico. At first, Microsoft made some software for Altair BASIC which was produced by another company, MITS.
However, Gates stopped this collaboration because of a certain issue. After that, Gates and Allen created programming language software for different companies.
You may want to read: Azim Premji success stories and quotes
In 1980, IBM proposed Microsoft to write them an operating system. It was at this stage that Microsoft developed into a big company. MS-DOS which was created for IBM computer made this company a big player in computer industry.
In 1985, Gates launched the retail version of MS-DOS to the market. This product was called Microsoft Windows. At that year, Gates also made a deal with IBM concerning the development of a separated operating system. However, later on their partnership got worse.
Bill Gates stepped down as Microsoft chairman
Gates had successfully developed his company. Because of his hard work, Microsoft becomes the leading company in computer world.
Moreover, this company also made other non-computing products, such as Xbox. In 2014, Gates chose to step down from his position as Microsoft Chairman and focused more on his foundation.
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Bill and Melinda married in 1994 and together they had three children. With the help of Melinda, Gates established Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. It is funded by Gates’ fortune. Thanks to the charity from this foundation, many people had better life.
Bill Gates is a very successful businessman. He proved to the world that being a drop out student didn’t make a person poor as long as one has his ambition and determination to achieve success.
Want to know more what Bill Gates says about success? Please check out his quotes below:
25 Bill Quotes on Success
1. “Technology is just a tool. In terms of getting the kids working together and motivating them, the teacher is the most important.” ~ Bill Gates
2. “Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can’t lose.” ~ Bill Gates
3. “We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.” ~ Bill Gates
4. “At Microsoft there are lots of brilliant ideas but the image is that they all come from the top – I’m afraid that’s not quite right.” ~ Bill Gates
5. “We’ve got to put a lot of money into changing behavior.” ~ Bill Gates
6. “Microsoft is not about greed. It’s about innovation and fairness.” ~ Bill Gates
7. “Whether it’s Google or Apple or free software, we’ve got some fantastic competitors and it keeps us on our toes.” ~ Bill Gates
8. “I believe that if you show people the problems and you show them the solutions they will be moved to act.” ~ Bill Gates
9. “As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others.” ~ Bill Gates
10. “If you can’t make it good, at least make it look good.” ~ Bill Gates
11. “I really had a lot of dreams when I was a kid, and I think a great deal of that grew out of the fact that I had a chance to read a lot.” ~ Bill Gates
12. “In this business, by the time you realize you’re in trouble, it’s too late to save yourself. Unless you’re running scared all the time, you’re gone.” ~ Bill Gates
13. “This is a fantastic time to be entering the business world, because business is going to change more in the next 10 years than it has in the last 50.” ~ Bill Gates
14. “Expectations are a form of first-class truth: If people believe it, it’s true.” ~ Bill Gates
15. “I have an excellent memory, a most excellent memory.” ~ Bill Gates
16. “I never took a day off in my twenties. Not one. And I’m still fanatical, but now I’m a little less fanatical.” ~ Bill Gates
17. “I read a lot of obscure books and it is nice to open a book.” ~ Bill Gates
18. “The kids are a big part of my schedule.” ~ Bill Gates
19. “I spend a lot of time reading.” ~ Bill Gates
20. “The general idea of the rich helping the poor, I think, is important.” ~ Bill Gates
21. “The only thing I understand deeply, because in my teens I was thinking about it, and every year of my life, is software. So I’ll never be hands-on on anything except software.” ~ Bill Gates
22. “If your culture doesn’t like geeks, you are in real trouble.” ~ Bill Gates
23. “I was a kind of hyper-intense person in my twenties and very impatient.” ~ Bill Gates
24. “When I was in my 40s, Microsoft was my primary activity.” ~ Bill Gates
25. “The future of advertising is the Internet.” ~ Bill Gates